This room is one of the most important in a house, since we use it every day. Manufacturers offer many stylish and convenient types of doors to choose from. Whether you need a traditional style or something more modern, there is always a solution that fits your requirements.
In this article, we will discuss the most popular configurations and designs and provide tips on which one will be best for your home.
The most common configuration of a bedroom door is the swinging one. It has been known for centuries and widely used in classic and modern homes.
Hinged models are a great option for those looking for an easy-to-install solution. You needn't install tracks on the walls or make niches to hide slabs, as for the pocket configuration.
Swings offer a number of benefits, including:
- Easy opening and closing. They are very easy to handle. This is especially beneficial for those with mobility issues.
- Reliability. The slabs are hung on hinges, which have a simple and reliable design. This ensures the durability of the overall construction. All you have to do is lube the hinges if they start to squeak.
- Noiselessness. Since the slab doesn't slide on tracks, you can be sure that it won't make any noises when open or closed.
The main thing you should remember when choosing the swing configuration is that it requires quite a lot of space to open. Therefore, it is most often installed in spacious rooms.
One more advantage of such doors is quick installation. If you have enough experience and tools, you can do it yourself.
Gliding doors have gained huge popularity in modern interiors. They take up less space compared to the traditional configuration and look very stylish. Manufacturers offer several options for sliding models: each of them has its own installation features.
Pockets are a nice option if you need a sleek and modern look. They open by gliding into special wall niches, often made of drywall.
This construction gives a doorway a clean and minimalistic look. Pockets are also a great space-saving solution, since they don't require any extra inches in your room to open.
The pocket configuration is one of the most convenient choices for the house where homeowners want to completely hide the slabs. Such a construction allows one to create a feeling of a single space.
Some of their benefits include:
- Maximize your space: Unlike a swinging door that needs to be opened in and out, a pocket one simply slides into the wall. This means that you have more space for furniture, which is crucial for small rooms.
- Have a stylish appearance: Pocket models can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any house.
- Keep peace and quiet: They help to reduce noise levels in your home, which is important if you have young children or live in a busy area.
- Serve long: Since the mechanisms are hidden inside, they are well protected from possible damage and dust.
- Make a design statement: Pockets are a great way to make a concept statement in your house. They are used to create a unique and unusual look that will impress your guests.
Pocket models have a rather complex design, so it is not recommended to install them yourself. Due to improper installation, they may not work properly or break quickly. The best solution is to order installation from the company where you ordered the product.
Types of Pocket Doors
There are two main kinds of these pockets on the market: single and double.
- Single: Has one slab that slides directly into the wall.
- Double: Consists of two slabs, each of which slide into their own niche in the wall.
The double construction is ideal for a large doorway. Opened together, they create plenty of space to walk through or move furniture.
This configuration got its name due to the similarity with constructions that are traditionally installed in sheds, barns and other outbuildings.
They have become increasingly popular in recent years as a way to add rustic charm to any interior. They are so expressive that you can use them as the key decorative accent of your house.
Modern models are made from a variety of materials, including glass. It allows you to choose an option for any interior, including minimalistic ones.
- Barn doors owe much of their charm to their fittings. They are hung on a metal rail and move using large rollers. All fasteners are in sight, and thanks to them, we get an indelible impression of the entire construction. Massive dark hardware only emphasizes its rustic character. If you want something lighter, choose chrome or steel fittings.
- Some people use them for more than just doorways. A door of this configuration can serve as a mobile partition. You can hide anything in your bedroom behind it: a dressing room, home library or racks with open shelves.
Despite the seeming massiveness, slabs are simple to open and close due to the thought-out design of the mechanisms.
Types of tracks
Manufacturers offer two different barn hardware kinds that you can choose from.
Designed for usual single or double slab constructions. In this case, slabs move towards each other.
This hardware is necessary if you want a bypass barn door. It has two slabs that slide parallel to each other on a single track. Bypass models are often installed in bedrooms connected to a home office.
Folding doors are a great way to save space in your room. This is a type of slab that folds in half when open. Such a configuration is very compact and convenient.
Usually bifolders consist of two slabs, but if your doorway is wide there can be three or more of them.
There are several benefits to having bifold bedroom doors installed in your home, including:
- They save space. As mentioned above, one of the main benefits of these models is that they save valuable inches. If you have a tiny room, this can be a great choice to make it feel larger.
- They're stylish. Bifold models come in a variety of styles, so you can find a solution that matches the look of your home.
- If the sliding mechanism is correctly installed, the slab opens smoothly. There are no thresholds on the floor that you can catch on.
- Constructions of large size allow you to quickly and easily convert one room into two, for example, a bedroom and office. This is one of the favorite techniques of designers when zoning space.
- The accordion construction will cost you less than a usual swing model.
- Such a configuration is not afraid of drafts and will not slam shut. This solution is great for the bedroom.
This configuration is rarely installed as an interior door. More often it is used inside the room for several purposes.
Ways to use a bi-folder
There are several ways one can use folders in a bedroom:
- As a closet door: They make an excellent choice for closets as they are compact and convenient in everyday life.
- As a solution for narrow corridors: If the bedroom borders on a cramped hallway, a compact door will not hit the walls or block other passages.
Manufacturers offer many designs of this configuration. One of the most popular is a louvered slab. It’s frequently used in dressing rooms, as it provides a constant flow of air. Thanks to this, the norms for storing clothes or bed linen will be observed.
Louvered models also provide excellent air exchange in bathrooms, which helps to avoid condensation and fungus.
Bedroom Doors Designs
Today, manufacturers have come up with dozens of various collections. Even the pickiest of buyers can find an option for their interiors. In the catalogs you can find classic and modern models from different materials.
Regardless of the chosen configuration, it can be arranged in any design. For example, barn models can be not only blank, but also with glass inserts. All this allows to create unique and stylish interiors that delight the owners with their beauty.
In this guide, we will talk about the most popular and sought-after door designs.
If you need something with a traditional appearance, consider a paneled model. They usually have two or three panels, depending on the collection.
This is a nice choice for classic interiors where the homeowners select all the elements of decor for several years. The classic look never goes out of style and remains relevant even decades later.
A flush door has a clean and contemporary look. Restrained surface and lack of decor perfectly complement the minimalist interior. Such a smooth design makes it perfect for almost any contemporary house.
One of the most demanded colors is white. This is a universal shade that harmonizes with walls and furniture of almost any color. If you want to highlight the slab and make it a central element of your interior, choose bright and contrasting shades.
With Glass Panels
Those who need a bit of light into your bedroom, should consider a glass door. Such models have inserts of different sizes.
The glass can be clear or frosted. Most customers who choose this design prefer matte glass. It lets in light and maintains privacy at the same time, which is important in any bedroom.
The French door is synonymous with sophistication. It is ideal for modern and classic houses where elegant style is appreciated. Such models are rarely ordered as room entrance doors, but they are an excellent option for bathrooms in the master bedrooms.
The main difference from previous doors is the size of the glass insert. In French, it occupies almost the entire slab. Since such a construction can be dangerous for family members, manufacturers install tempered glass in it. It has increased strength and even in the event of a strong blow breaks into harmless pieces.
While there are many door configurations and styles to choose from, it is important to consider what will work best for your needs. We hope this guide has helped you narrow down your choices and shown you the advantages of each solution. If you have any questions about which design is right for you, please don’t hesitate to contact our sales reps.