If you're looking at adding a barn configuration to your home, you might wonder if an old interior slab can be converted to another configuration. The answer is yes! With a little of creativity and some modifications, you can turn a usual slab into a beautiful construction that will add character to your house.
In this blog post, we will explore how you can do it yourself. We will cover some advantages of this door type and provide guidance on how to install it. By the end of this post, you'll be ready to tackle this project and add a unique touch to your space.
Although initially such doors were installed in farm houses, they became popular among city dwellers over time. Their unusual design has allowed them to become one of the most used options today.
Barn construction has several advantages.
- The strongest and indisputable benefit is its simplicity and reliability. The strength resource of a properly manufactured mechanism is more than 10 years. It is simple and reliable, so it lasts a long time.
- Like other sliding configurations, the barn saves room space. This is a great solution for those who want to get more usable area.
- A barn mechanism allows a woman, an elderly person or child to open the slab without much effort. Despite its visual heaviness, it is easy to open with one hand.
- Such a door creates an unusual atmosphere in your home. It has extraordinary design and vintage decor elements that are unlikely to go out of fashion. This option is suitable for bold, but practical people. They say the owner knows what he wants.
- Absolutely everything can act as a door. It can be either a hollow core slab or nominal partition. It all depends on your preferences. You can choose a blank option to ensure maximum sound and light isolation. If you want to unify spaces, consider elegant French doors or models with small glass insets.
- This is the perfect choice for creating loft interiors. It provides that rustic feel most people are going for. Rough hardware appearance and the sliding opening mechanism make it a harmonious element of industrial-style houses. They are used in bedrooms, kitchens, nurseries, living rooms, home offices fitting into any style: classic, minimalism, fusion, country.
- Barn configuration can be safely left half-closed: it will never slam shut from a draft. This will prevent serious injury to family members and pets. It also does not interfere with passage along the corridor, which is especially important in houses with a large number of rooms.
If you decide to install a similar structure in your home, make sure that there is enough space along the wall for your slab to pass through. There should not be any obstacles on its way, so that it is convenient for you and family members to use it every day.
It is possible to convert both hollow core doors and solid core. Whatever option you have, using high-quality hardware, you will get an excellent result.
How to Make a DIY Barn Door from an Interior?
A sliding mechanism includes an upper crossbar (track), which is most often made of a forged or plain metal plate of suitable thickness. Stoppers are installed on both sides of the track so that your slab does not fall off it when opened.
You can buy a barn kit at a hardware store, where consultants will help you choose a suitable option.
The process of turning an ordinary door into a barn includes several stages:
1. First, install a mounting plate above the doorway. Then attach a metal track to it.
To do it, take a few steps:
- Set a laser level, which you will be guided by when drilling a hole for mounting a guide rail.
- Mark with a pencil the places where you will drill holes, and drill.
- Proceed with track installation. To do this, insert dowels that come with your kit into the drilled holes. After that, attach your track to the wall. Then insert special fixing bolts.
2. Then fasten brackets with rollers to the slab.
- Fasten brackets to the door. The distance from the slab edge to the bracket is up to you. Do this for each bracket.
- Drill holes for bolts.
- Insert bolts that come with brackets.
- Put brackets on bolts, tighten nuts.
3. Set travel stoppers.
- To do this, first drill a hole in the place where it will be installed.
- Attach the angle to the rail using a screw and nut that were in your kit.
- Additionally, stick a rubber damper on stoppers. It softens metal bracket impact on the angle.
4. Now that your brackets and track are installed, put your door in place. Lift it up and insert rollers into the rail. This stage of work is best done with a partner who can help you lift and hold the slab. Check its horizontal position and, if necessary, level it by tightening bolts.
When you remove the old door, there will be holes from hinges in it. Seal them with fiberboard pieces. It is best to attach them with glue. Before painting, they must be puttied.
If you have the necessary carpentry skills and tools, the process should not take you long. If you are not sure how to create a barn construction from your hollow or solid core slab, contact experts. They will take into account all your wishes and perform the work with high quality.
Can Any Door Become a Barn?
Yes! With the right tools and some elbow grease, you can build any door into a barn one. All you need is a slab, kit, drill, and you are on your way to creating something beautiful.
This project is a great way to add some character to your home's core. Such models are becoming increasingly popular, and this is a nice solution to get the look without spending much money. This project can also be completed in a weekend, and uses minimal resources, so you can enjoy your new doorway as soon as possible.
We hope this article has helped you better understand how to make such a construction yourself.